Monday, July 9, 2007

Ecclesiastes

As I am continuing in my One-year Bible Reading Plan, I find myself in Ecclesiastes. I have always enjoyed this book, I always come away with new knowledge of God and his Character. I'm not saying that I don't learn anythig from other sections of scriptures, but for some reason book speaks clearly to me. This is what I read today.

Ecclesiastes 3:14-15:

"I percieved that whatever God does endures forever; nothing can be added to it, nor anything taken from it. God has done it, so that people fear before him. That which is, already has been; that which is to be, already has been; and God seeks what has been driven away." (ESV)

What struck me about this section of scripture today is that it is proclaiming God's sovereign plan. God does all things, nothing is new, He's got it all in control. And whatever He does is for His glory. "God has done it, so that people fear before him" God isn't out there doing things in order to make us happy, he is doing things in order to bring himself glory. "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight." Proverbs 9:10.

These are good truths to have in place. It's good for me because I have such an inward, me focus. How can things benefit me, what's the best for me. These scriptures remind me that it's not all about me. It's about a sovereign God who sent His Son to die on a cross for my sins all to bring glory to His name.

The other cool things is that at the end of this passage it states that "God seeks what has been driven away." God's not going to let us run to far away from Him before He come chasing after us. That's a blessing.

No comments: